MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How To: C15a Wire-3 restoration (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3643)

Jordan Baker 07-06-21 20:43

5 Attachment(s)
Ropes for the canvas all done and installed. I made up a mixture of beeswax and linseed oil and boiled it then soaked the ropes in it. 10 ropes in total and all had to be eye spliced onto the grommets. Lots of waxy work but my hands have never been softer.

Jordan Baker 07-06-21 20:45

1 Attachment(s)
A total of 60’ feet of rope is required. The following measurements were taken from my NOS 15cwt canvas top.

David Dunlop 07-06-21 20:58

What?? No Lavender and Honey in the mix?

Seriously though, Jordan, they look really good and should last a long time now.

Good work!

David

Jordan Baker 07-06-21 21:30

Some of the recipes I found while searching online called for ingredients like that. Turns out there is a whole community of people into making ropes softer for various reasons.

Chris Suslowicz 07-06-21 21:50

I feel sure the military would use Stockholm Tar, for that authentic scent that really sticks to your hands.:ergh:

(I have (UK) mast stays that were treated with the stuff (for the 34-ft and 36-ft masts. The post-WW2 versions used synthetic rope (Terylene or polyester), so are a bit nicer to handle. The WW2 Canadian 20-ft and 34-ft telescopic mast kits seem to use untreated white cotton (Or possibly linen?) sash cord for the stays.)

Chris.

m606paz 15-06-21 01:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 253960)
The NOS wheel nuts arrived.

Hi Jordan, i have a question about red nuts. Red , Orange oy Mix? Have a color code? Thanks in advance!

Jordan Baker 15-06-21 04:30

I just painted them red from paint I had. I seem to remember a period red was called signal red.

Jordan Baker 31-07-21 03:08

5 Attachment(s)
I finally had some time to sort out all the seats for the truck. It take a total of five. Two in the cab and three in the back. I’ll be using the raised bases for up front.

It was interesting to find some of the original paint colour on removing a couple of parts. Also the grey primer was a nice touch.

I also had to replace one of the seat pans due to smoke rust holes. Some quick work with a Zip disk and the welder fixed things up.

Jordan Baker 31-07-21 03:11

1 Attachment(s)
Lastly I installed the proper knurled nut on the Chorehorse weather shield.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 31-07-21 03:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 280902)
Lastly I installed the proper knurled nut on the Chorehorse weather shield.

Damn you Jordan and your attention to detail!!!!!!

(but keep it up)

Robert Bergeron 31-07-21 03:50

I agree with Bruce .

David Dunlop 31-07-21 05:29

Interesting about the primer, Jordan.

When I stripped down the seats in my 1944 WIRE-5, I found the grey primer on the very same bits. It was only after that I started seeing it on other components of the truck.

I never did figure out if it was due to parts coming in from outside suppliers that could only get hold of grey primers, or if all the parts were GM made and they were allocating grey primer to smaller items for some reason.

David

Jordan Baker 31-07-21 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dunlop (Post 280908)
Interesting about the primer, Jordan.

When I stripped down the seats in my 1944 WIRE-5, I found the grey primer on the very same bits. It was only after that I started seeing it on other components of the truck.

I never did figure out if it was due to parts coming in from outside suppliers that could only get hold of grey primers, or if all the parts were GM made and they were allocating grey primer to smaller items for some reason.

David

I suspect the DND pattern seats were made by 3rd party manufacturers to fulfill requirements by GM and Ford and other DND projects. Perhaps they were sprayed with grey primer as individual pieces then assembled and given a final overspray in the colour called for in the contract.

Jordan Baker 31-07-21 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 280904)
Damn you Jordan and your attention to detail!!!!!!

(but keep it up)

And Robert......the chain is original if it helps.

Jordan Baker 04-08-21 17:31

1 Attachment(s)
Freshly back from the sandblasters. Now just to finish up the pile of small bits and pieces.

Jordan Baker 06-08-21 04:27

2 Attachment(s)
Seat parts coming along. I’m always amazed at just how many pieces and design work went into these vehicles and that so many hands were involved in making them.

Jordan Baker 07-08-21 20:46

2 Attachment(s)
So many parts for 5 seats. But I’m loving the new paint colour. This colour will be used on the Otter as the basic colour. It matches the original very close.

rob love 07-08-21 21:31

I don't consider the seats as being over-engineered. It seems to be just about the minimum amount of parts to do what is required.

I was working on a copy of the Universal carrier antenna bracket at work the other day. Now that is over-engineered. You would think the British were winning the war when they made that monstrosity. The alemite button grease fittings on what should have been simple hinge pins were especially superfluous.

Jordan Baker 07-08-21 21:39

It’s just been very repetitious. Guess it’s why I could never do a factory assembly type job.

Yes I know the carrier antenna you speak of. It had a little bit of everything in it. Flat bar, press braked, machining, welding, riveting, cast brass and iron, molded rubber. All because the antenna rods were rigid.

Chris Suslowicz 08-08-21 02:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 281067)
I don't consider the seats as being over-engineered. It seems to be just about the minimum amount of parts to do what is required.

I was working on a copy of the Universal carrier antenna bracket at work the other day. Now that is over-engineered. You would think the British were winning the war when they made that monstrosity. The alemite button grease fittings on what should have been simple hinge pins were especially superfluous.

I know nothing about the antenna bracket in question except that it was probably designed in the mid-1930s for Wireless Set No.1 and that was the closest a radio got to the front line - Battalion to Brigade and within artillery regiments. So they would not have needed very many of them and they were expected to last forever.

Best regards,
Chris. (Who now has yet another post-WW2 variation of Aerial Base No.9, this time without the moulded-in stores code and a different "flat surface" mounting - for civilian purposes (Fire, Police & Ambulance VHF radio, I think).) :doh:

Bruce Parker (RIP) 08-08-21 02:38

Hi Chris, have you seen my question here? I'd love your input.

http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showpo...0&postcount=46

rob love 08-08-21 03:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz (Post 281070)
I know nothing about the antenna bracket in question except that it was probably designed in the mid-1930s for Wireless Set No.1 :doh:

Not sure what it might have been designed for, but it was the 11 set mounted in the early carriers. I have seen a few of the mounts which kept their #11 set accoutrements including the large antenna base right through the war in domestic service, so I think they may have well come with the carriers from the factory, and had never been upgraded to the WS19 sets.

Chris Suslowicz 08-08-21 03:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 281072)
Hi Chris, have you seen my question here? I'd love your input.

http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showpo...0&postcount=46

I hadn't (and it's Oh God o'clock here (0220A)) but it certainly wouldn't have had a crew of five, I don't think.

Trades were: Driver/Electrician, Operator Wireless & Line, Operator Keyboard & Crypto, etc.

Depending on size of station, the truck would probably have a crew of two, plus extra operators supplied separately if required. (If it was attached to a signal office there would be a lot more people required: office staff, cypher clerks, despatch riders, security, etc. and you end up with a small village.)

I'll give it some thought. (During daylight!)

Chris. (Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...)

Bruce Parker (RIP) 08-08-21 03:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 281073)
Not sure what it might have been designed for, but it was the 11 set mounted in the early carriers. I have seen a few of the mounts which kept their #11 set accoutrements including the large antenna base right through the war in domestic service, so I think they may have well come with the carriers from the factory, and had never been upgraded to the WS19 sets.

All Mk.1 Canadian produced carriers up to the end of 1943 and perhaps early 1944 (?) when they stopped making them had factory equipped 11 set bases and that folding 11 set aerial bracket on the rear right side. It's completely incomprehensible given that the 11 set faded from view in 1942 replaced by the 19 set. All 19 set installations in Mk.1 carriers were 'after market' installation kits. According to Ford I guess a contract is a contract.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 08-08-21 03:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz (Post 281074)
I hadn't (and it's Oh God o'clock here (0220A)) but it certainly wouldn't have had a crew of five, I don't think.

Trades were: Driver/Electrician, Operator Wireless & Line, Operator Keyboard & Crypto, etc.

Depending on size of station, the truck would probably have a crew of two, plus extra operators supplied separately if required. (If it was attached to a signal office there would be a lot more people required: office staff, cypher clerks, despatch riders, security, etc. and you end up with a small village.)

I'll give it some thought. (During daylight!)

Chris. (Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...)

The puzzling question is that if the crew was four (or less) then why did all three CMP wireless trucks (HUW, WIRE-3 and WIRE-5) have two seats in the cab and three in the back. Maybe it's as simple as the co-driver selecting the cab seat vs. the rear body seat based on need. I wonder however because it's not like the army to let a driver go solo without a co-driver and the rear seats (save one) seem more suited for travelling rather than operating the radio equipment.

Jordan Baker 14-08-21 00:03

2 Attachment(s)
Today I got the seat pan assemblies all painted. Taking advantage of the lovely high heat and humidity, the seats were painted in POR15. After about 1.5 hours the POR15 was slightly tacky and I painted on the top coat of the final colour. I find if I can time it right the top colour gets chemically bonded to the POR15 and once everything sets up you’ve got a very tough layering of paint. I also painted up the seat base mounting hardware. More on this below.

Jordan Baker 14-08-21 00:05

5 Attachment(s)
I also made up a stamping die to make the front seat retaining strip. I only had one original and it was quite heavily pitted. The piece needed an offset bend in 1/8” plate. The 10ton press was maxed out but thankfully I was able to do the pressing in stages working along the length.

Jordan Baker 14-08-21 05:12

3 Attachment(s)
And one can’t forget the 9 rings and 24 springs per seat. Once the springs were mounted I gave them all a quick spray with the paint. The cab seats were also mount to the bases.

David Dunlop 14-08-21 14:19

Looking really good, Jordan.

David

Jordan Baker 21-08-21 05:31

2 Attachment(s)
Full day of sewing and the five seat back covers are all done.