MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   2011 at the Hammond Barn (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15944)

Bob Carriere 08-02-11 20:12

Thanks for the comments....

Cylinder balance test.....compression test..... and yes I have a gauge...

Will also re check the plugs to see if one is not firing.... they were very black when we cleaned them up just before Xmas.... and running smooth at the time.....

When I think about it..... it is almost as if one cylinder was dragging... a dead weight........causing the engine to vibrate..... don't think it is a valve but will probably remove the valve cover..... look at it while running.... re-check valve adjustments.... verify all electrical connections.....

Above all will make sure it is warmed up sufficiently...... will cover the rad opening....

More later....

Bob Carriere 08-02-11 21:38

Haiieeyyy Caramba.....

Road trip with the float on Saturday morning...... Rob should not have been let out with out supervision........

....and another local road trip tonite to recover an excellent 261 engine....

Will soon need another barn or more acreage....!!!

Bob

RHClarke 08-02-11 23:18

Hup whore

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carriere (Post 142940)
Road trip with the float on Saturday morning...Rob should not have been let out with out supervision...Will soon need another barn or more acreage....!!!Bob

It's Jason's fault! He dangled photos of the HUP's naked frame in front of me, and that was it.

The HUP frame has some damage, but nothing that can't be repaired. Drive train and engine are intact (functioning? - not known yet). The four rims "look" to be in good nick, but time will tell. The frame also has a lot of the add-ons that are becoming increasingly rare in these parts. There is some sheet metal, but it has seen better days. So the HUP frame was a good buy in my estimate.

The other frame is a POS with only the two axles and some of the add-ons, making it somewhat worthwhile. There is potential for the frame and the other parts will go up for sale or be used as spares. The second frame (C15) came as part of the package deal worked out between Mr. Cote and myself. They are even going to load the trailer for us - on a Saturday no less!

The weather in Montreal was the shits. They have a lot more snow down than we do in Ottawa. I went through two jugs of windshield washer fluid on this trip due to the excessive slush on the roads and the resulting saltspray.

Not a bad recce - now I have to tell the wife about the latest acquisition...more on the the trip later.

rob love 08-02-11 23:41

Congrats, HUPs of any kind are a good find.

I too ended up making a purchase over the phone from prefair today, but pickup will wait until the spring.

That's an amazing store, I wish it was closer to here. Mind you, we have Westbourne, but the winter kind of limits purchases to only 6 months out of the year.

Alex Blair (RIP) 09-02-11 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carriere (Post 142937)
Cylinder balance test.....compression test..... and yes I have a gauge...

Will also re check the plugs to see if one is not firing.... they were very black when we cleaned them up just before Xmas.... and running smooth at the time.....
That would be your timing and bad gas probably..

When I think about it..... it is almost as if one cylinder was dragging... a dead weight........causing the engine to vibrate..... don't think it is a valve but will probably remove the valve cover..... look at it while running.... re-check valve adjustments.... verify all electrical connections.....

Above all will make sure it is warmed up sufficiently...... will cover the rad opening....

Bob..Do your compression test first and it could be a plug or a thousand other things but at least a compression test will give you a general picture of the engine condition..
But a cracked or broken piston skirt is a possible culprit..
Take the valve cover off and roll it over on the starter to see if the push rods aren't changing hole..that will be a start too..and eliminate stuck valves..roll it over by hand with the plugs out when you are doing your compression test.

:drunk:

Alex Blair (RIP) 09-02-11 00:44

Bob's BBQ

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 142947)
Congrats, HUPs of any kind are a good find.

I too ended up making a purchase over the phone from prefair today, but pickup will wait until the spring.

That's an amazing store, I wish it was closer to here. Mind you, we have Westbourne, but the winter kind of limits purchases to only 6 months out of the year.

Rob..
Try to work in BBQ at Bobs..Last weekend in June..I think this year..Bob will be advertising it anyway..
It's a great do...
Gilles will be there again with his big field kitchen..and it is a great time.
:drunk: :cheers:

rob love 09-02-11 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Blair (Post 142959)
Rob..
Try to work in BBQ at Bobs..Last weekend in June..I think this year..Bob will be advertising it anyway..
It's a great do...
Gilles will be there again with his big field kitchen..and it is a great time.
:drunk: :cheers:

No promises on that...there are others involved in this deal as well.

Would be nice to get back to Ottawa for a bit..I enjoyed my short visit there last time. I may go back thru on the same deal as last time, in which case the dates are not mine to choose.

RHClarke 10-02-11 22:37

Prefair Shots

5 Attachment(s)
Although my interest at Prefair was focused on the CMP frames, there were one or two items that caught my eye:

Photos
1. 90mm gun (sold)
2. Remaining 90mm guns (one was being "negoitiated" the other remains for sale)
3. Rifle box of some nature
4. Rifle box label
5. Rifle box exterior

It is interesting to note that since the 90mm gun section has been at Prefair, there have been no air attacks in that area. As for the frames, a road trip has been organized for early Saturday morning - once again, Bob Carriere's Ford will be hauling home the rusty gold. Hopefully another HUP will find its way to the Hammond Barn this Spring...

Wpns 421 11-02-11 22:46

We were at Prefair today, saw the 2 trucks even have pictures. You guys missed the old .303 rifle boxes. Good day for shopping around.
Gilles

Wpns 421 12-02-11 01:34

Box rifle at Prefair

Bob When you go to Prefair tomorrow could you pickup 2 rifle boxes for me. They are for the .303 rifle. They are located on the shelf closest to the storage room. When you go in thru the front door turn left, go to the wall, you will see a camo tent, turn right go 20 ft and the 2 boxes are there on the right on the ground. Green 6-8 in wide, 5 ft long. Bottom and the top. We paid $10 ea. We should have bought the 4. Thanks Gilles

Bob Carriere 12-02-11 03:20

Boxes.....

Will do......

Col Tigwell 12-02-11 09:16

How about posting a picture of the young fella.

My lady and I are keen to see how he is growing

Thanks

Col

Bob Carriere 12-02-11 23:00

Boxes are in the barn......

..... got the last two as instructed.

Long drive this morning in snow storm.... return trip was more pleasant....

Everything unloaded......cold .....
.......the house is warm and it feels good....Zzzzzzzzz

Rob has some video.... will download a few pics tonite..... weather was not favorable to picture taking.....

Bob

rob love 12-02-11 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHClarke (Post 143020)
Although my interest at Prefair was focused on the CMP frames, there were one or two items that caught my eye:

Photos
1. 90mm gun (sold)
2. Remaining 90mm guns (one was being "negoitiated" the other remains for sale)
3. Rifle box of some nature
4. Rifle box label
5. Rifle box exterior

It is interesting to note that since the 90mm gun section has been at Prefair, there have been no air attacks in that area. As for the frames, a road trip has been organized for early Saturday morning - once again, Bob Carriere's Ford will be hauling home the rusty gold. Hopefully another HUP will find its way to the Hammond Barn this Spring...

The rifle box is a mystery to me. A guess would say it is for the recoiless rifle. I say this because the NSN prefixes shown are for us made telescopes or optical instruments of some kind. We had no other equipment with the term "rifle" that used US optics that I can think of. If you are back at the store, can you take a shot of the full NSNs shown?

Prefair will soon lose it's protection from air attacks. I have information that all 3 guns are to be heading out west, likely in the spring.

Bob Carriere 14-02-11 03:37

Latest recovery....good news... no mosquitoes !!!

4 Attachment(s)
Man we sure picked a day for recovery.... snow fall did not last long but was like a blizzerd at times.... left 5:30 am arrived 8:30 ... waited.. loaded and back home by 2:00 pm...unloaded by 4 pm....

One HUP for parts and a shortened C60...... with a C15a front axle.... no ID tags but would bet it is an Aussie PE-197- model..... now all resting at the Hammond barn......

Enjoy the Canadian Winter scene....

Boob

Phil Waterman 14-02-11 15:59

Must be something about snow and CMPs

Hi

Glad to see you are keeping up the tradition of picking up CMPs in the dead of winter, your right about the mosquitoes down along with the snakes, wasps, etc.

All three of my CMPs came home with snow on the ground, makes loading so much more fun.

Cheers Phil

Jordan Baker 14-02-11 18:11

Nice finds. Bob, your second picture looks like the red truck is "taking advantage" of the yellow one.;)

Bob Carriere 15-02-11 04:06

Pervert....

Hi Jordan

The Hammond barn is now starting a breading program.... we'll raise our own !!!

Bob

Wpns 421 15-02-11 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carriere (Post 143324)
Hi Jordan

The Hammond barn is now starting a breading program.... we'll raise our own !!!

Bob

Is that breading or breeding???Gilles

Gordon Yeo 15-02-11 14:00

breading and breeding

As any good stockman knows you have to feed them before you breed them.

RHClarke 15-02-11 19:01

Getting Results

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carriere (Post 143324)
Hi Jordan The Hammond barn is now starting a breading program.... we'll raise our own !!!Bob

Bob, If only we could breed them...I wonder what the offspring of a HUP and a C60 would be?

Mark W. Tonner 15-02-11 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHClarke (Post 143374)
Bob, If only we could breed them...I wonder what the offspring of a HUP and a C60 would be?

:eek: . . . your definitely demented . . .

cliff 15-02-11 20:01

Quote:

:thup2: A CHUP 75 maybe :D

Grant Bowker 15-02-11 20:25

Quote:

(C8A+C60L)/2=C30 (more or less, perhaps an extended or crew cab). Let me know when the offspring become available. According to the parts books the C30 and C60S use the same frame and I haven't seen many available locally.

Wpns 421 15-02-11 22:51

Summer Meet and Swap

As I have a lot of spare time on my hands, I would like to throw this up for consideration. As you all know the annual BBQ will be held at the Hammond Barn on the weekend of the 25 Jun. Well I am wondering "what if we have a swap meet on Sunday morning?? or on Saturday. There are no Swap and Meets in the Ottawa area and I find going to Oshawa or Acton a long haul.
Bob has the space, we will be there so why not bring stuff to sell or trade.? This is just an idea and Bob will have to agree to this. I would be willing to help coordinate the effort. If you are interested, let me know.
Yes Bob I know I should have asked you first!!! but like I said I have too much time on my hands.
Gilles

RHClarke 15-02-11 23:10

I Second the Motion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpns 421 (Post 143405)
..."what if we have a swap meet on Sunday morning?? or on Saturday. There are no Swap and Meets in the Ottawa area and I find going to Oshawa or Acton a long haul... Bob has the space, we will be there so why not bring stuff to sell or trade? Gilles

Great idea! I don't see any complications as we have had in the past informal sales (MLU stuff/ServicePub books/tailgate shops). I would suggest that we go with the Saturday tho'.

I will provide some assistance in setting up and tearing down the swap meet.

RHClarke 15-02-11 23:14

No argument there...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark W. Tonner (Post 143377)
. . . you're definitely demented . . .

Again, I trot out that well-used axiom of those afflicted with the MV collecting malady: "You don't have to be crazy to be in this hobby, but it sure doesn't hurt..."

Bob Carriere 16-02-11 02:50

Dementia = CMP.....

Yes a swap meet on Saturday before we get to drunk...er I mean too involved... there has always been some selling/trading going on and I encourage it....
no permission required...... no fees ... just fun....

Saturday is probably the best day for it....

I will have some original Delco spark plugs for sale in a variety of heat range... I have been breeding them..... no crummy breading...!!!! DUH!!!

...and if you think that breeding a Hup with a C60 is odd you should see the size of the condoms we use to keep them from getting out of hand....

BBQ is the same old game.....Burgers on Friday for the early arrival.... big day on Saturday..... wrap up and sobbering black coffe on Sunday morning.

I am hoping to have the back field modified into an obstacle course including mud hole.....

Any other suggestions welcomed.....

Bob

Barry Churcher 16-02-11 03:06

Rob, the word was out that you were going to Prefair last week so in your absence Brian Gough and I did a little border raid to the Ottawa valley. When the cats away the mice sneak in. A real fun day if you are a masochist or a MV collector. It was four hours each way and two hours of intense, bone chilling cold in the middle. Taking photos with no mitts on in your area is brutal. We will leave our finds for a spring recovery.
Cheers,
Barry

servicepub (RIP) 16-02-11 04:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Churcher (Post 143426)
Rob, the word was out that you were going to Prefair last week so in your absence Brian Gough and I did a little border raid to the Ottawa valley. When the cats away the mice sneak in. A real fun day if you are a masochist or a MV collector. It was four hours each way and two hours of intense, bone chilling cold in the middle. Taking photos with no mitts on in your area is brutal. We will leave our finds for a spring recovery.
Cheers,
Barry

Hehehe. Good for you.