MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Wireless Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Mountings, Carriers, No. 1 (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24976)

Bruce Parker (RIP) 01-05-16 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by cletrac (Post 223996)

Is that original or post war green paint? Canadian ones were unpainted wood and I've never seen one painted that dark shiny green like they did to everything else military and Canadian in the 1950's.

Chris Suslowicz 01-05-16 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 224018)
Is that original or post war green paint? Canadian ones were unpainted wood and I've never seen one painted that dark shiny green like they did to everything else military and Canadian in the 1950's.

I'd say "postwar refinished" - I've got one similar to that and it's been repainted over various scratches, etc., which are visible under the paint. (It's also not totally repainted, so possibly done at unit level to tidy things up for inspections. The wood under the set is still plain, as are (sensibly) the handles.)

Chris.

cletrac (RIP) 05-05-16 00:52

It sold for $283 US.

David Dunlop 12-02-17 16:45

A bit of a curiosity has popped up with these Mountings.

The Truck and Ground Installation Manual for the 19-Set in the 15-cwt (House Type) and HUW Series of vehicles states the mounting hardware for the wireless tables in these vehicles is 1/4 inch x 20 x 1 inch hex bolts. This makes perfect sense as the table thickness in these vehicles is 1/2 inch plywood. The combined thicknesses of the wood, bridges feet, table support straps would leave about two threads of bolt exposed after the nut and lockwasher are run home. All nice and tidy.

Now muddying the waters somewhat, I recently ran across a listing of these Mountings, Carriers, No. 1 in a RCEME Parts Listing in which the hardware spec was 1/4 inch x 20 x 1-3/4 inch hex bolt. No application information was provided, but in looking back in this thread, Cletrac, commented on a set of photos that his hardware was about 2 inches long.

This would suggest that some other wireless vehicles utilizing the 19-Set had more robust wireless tables which required longer mounting hardware. Never seen any up close, but a few that come to mind might be Command LP, Command HP and the Matador Armoured Command Post. I just wanted to post this information, before I forget.

David

Bruce Parker (RIP) 12-02-17 17:18

Dave, the wireless table in the HUW is not 1/2" plywood. The table frame is 1" angle and the wood plus linoleum sits on the upper face of the angle on the bottom to flush with the top so is 7/8" thick combined.

7/8" table, plus two strips (each 1/16"), plus the 1/8" foot, plus 3/8" for the nut and lock washer and it means at least 1-1/2" bolts.

David Dunlop 12-02-17 19:41

Thanks for the quick clarification, Bruce. Interesting that an October, 1944 publication covering the truck installations omits the variation for the HUW wireless table. The two different lengths make sense now.

Cheers,

David

simon king 12-02-17 20:00

I am currently restoring the radio bench for my MWR and the bench top is made from three planks which are 1" thick. This might account for the longer attachment hardware.

SK

David Dunlop 12-02-17 21:51

Thanks for posting that info, Simon. The more knowledge in the pool, the better! :)

David

simon king 12-02-17 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dunlop (Post 234533)
Thanks for posting that info, Simon. The more knowledge in the pool, the better! :)

David

Thanks for that. I fear the flow of information will all be one way though.

I have so far cosmetically restored my No 23 breadboard(which was unpainted from new), the EKCo Mk III 19 set, Pye PSU, variometer and control box and am gradually acquiring the missing bits to complete the installation.

I know that each set of the shock absorbing mounts have two metal strips which go either side of the bench top. I have assumed that these are 1" wide and half an inch longer at either end. I have used 1.5mm plate. Is that about right?

David Dunlop 12-02-17 23:19

Hi Simon.

One inch x 11-5/8 inch x 1/16 inch. End to end they line up with the ends of the Bridges feet, if that helps at all. Not sure if they were originally steel strapping or punched from sheet steel. The Canadian ones I have were made by RCA and bear their round black circular stamp and a larger circular MECH INSPEC stamp with the inspectors number in the middle. In my case an '11'.

I have seen similar stamps on various RCA Canada 19-Set chassis parts, so suspect RCA had a major sheet metal production facility somewhere during the war. Finish is a dull grey zinc coating.

I'd post pictures but our iMac is in the shop at the moment.

David

simon king 12-02-17 23:46

That is very helpful- thanks

Jordan Baker 23-04-17 14:39

Anyone have a set of these mounting strips available for purchase?